Foundations of CMR Workshop - Chicago Recap
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Over 95 healthcare professionals gathered in Chicago, IL on April 28th and 29th for the second SCMR Foundations of CMR Level I Workshop. The 2-day workshop was jointly organized with the University of Chicago (UC) and Northwestern University (NU) and Co-Directed by Amit Patel and Luis Landeras of UC, and James Carr of NU. The workshop began with opening remarks by Dr. Patel providing an overview on the clinical value of CMR and the topics to be discussed over the course of the workshop. This was followed by talks regarding the practice of CMR within radiology and cardiology programs.
The theme of the morning session was “Assessment of the Left Ventricle” and emphasized the value of CMR in providing insights into cardiovascular structure, function, viability, fibrosis, and edema. The session included a talk by HeartIT on the CloudCMR system for CMR data sharing. The morning closed with an important focus on CMR, arrhythmia, and important considerations for scanning patients with implanted devices. Following the morning sessions was a lunchtime overview of the Circle CVI software. The afternoon sessions focused on ischemic and non-ischemic heart disease, stress CMR, physics and safety, and included a talk by General Electric on their CMR product line. All participants, faculty, and sponsors enjoyed some networking time during the evening reception.
Day two began with an overview of Arterys, Inc. and NeoSoft, LLC CMR software. Participants gained hands-on experience reviewing cases and analyzing images using software provided by those two companies. The morning presentations focused on vascular and congenital cases as well as extra-cardiac findings, pericardial disease, masses, and valve imaging. The lunchtime presentation by Medis Medical Imaging Systems covered their Suite MR product. The afternoon session focused on ischemic and non-ischemic heart disease.
The immediate feedback from participants was overwhelmingly positive and the SCMR plans to run three to four of these courses each year going forward.
Many thanks to the outstanding faculty from the Chicago area:
- Advocate Children's Hospital: Waseem Cossor
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital: Nayla Chaptini
Ann & Robert H Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago: Cynthia Rigsby
- Illinois Institute of Technology: Keigo Kawaji
- Loyola University Chicago: Mark Rabbat, Steven Shea, Mushabbar Syed
- Northshore University HealthSystem: Robert Edelman, Amit Pursnani
- Northwestern University: Waleed Ahmed, James Carr, Jeremy Collins, Pamela Lombardi, Daniel Kim, Michael Markl, Daniel Lee
- Rush University Medical Center: Dinesh Kalra, Anupama Rao
- The University of Chicago: Karima Addetia, Bhavna Balaney, John Blair, Jonathan Chung, Jeanne DeCara, Neha Goyal, Kalie Kebed, Roberto Lang, James Liao, Ross Milner, Akhil Narang, Amit Patel, David Paushter, Roderick Tung, Nir Uriel, Jeremy Stone
- The University of Illinois at Chicago: Afshin Farzaneh-Far
And thanks to our Sponsors:
- Bayer Healthcare
- Circle Cardiovascular Imaging
- GE Healthcare
- Heart Imaging Technologies
- Medis Medical Imaging
- PIA (Precision Image Analysis)