Long-time SCMR member, Leon Axel, MD, PhD, professor of radiology and professor of medicine at NYU Langhorne Medical Center was one of the recipients of the American Heart Association (AHA) 2016 Distinguished Scientist Awards.
Presented during the AHA Scientific Session in New Orleans, LA, the Distinguished Scientists are a prominent group of scientists and clinicians whose work has importantly advanced our understanding of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. This award was created over 10 years ago to recognize AHA/ASA members for significant, original and sustained scientific contributions that have advanced the association's mission "Building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
Dr. Axel currently leads the Cardiac Imaging and Analysis Laboratory (CARDIAL), a multidisciplinary group dedicated to the development and evaluation of new cardiac imaging methods, particularly those involving quantitative characterization of such physiologic aspects as function and perfusion. This includes development of novel MRI cardiac imaging methods such as tagged MRI for regional cardiac function analysis and rapid quantitative imaging for perfusion studies, and associated programs for image analysis, as well as research on their basic and clinical applications. His recent publications include:
- Accelerated MRI for the assessment of cardiac function - Axel, Leon; Otazo, Ricardo. Accelerated MRI for the assessment of cardiac function.British journal of radiology. 2016 Apr 21;89(1063):20150655-20150655 (2059282)
- Right ventricular undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma: A case report - Beller, J P; Maddalo, S; Zamuco, R; Axel, L; DeAnda, A; Balsam, L B. Right ventricular undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma: A case report. Journal of cardiology cases. 2016 February 01, 2016;13(2):60-62 (1950392)
- Quantitative Perfusion Analysis of First-Pass Contrast Enhancement Kinetics: Application to MRI of Myocardial Perfusion in Coronary Artery Disease - Chung, Sohae; Shah, Binita; Storey, Pippa; Iqbal, Sohah; Slater, James; Axel, Leon. Quantitative Perfusion Analysis of First-Pass Contrast Enhancement Kinetics: Application to MRI of Myocardial Perfusion in Coronary Artery Disease. PLoS one. 2016 Sep 1;11(9):e0162067-e0162067 e0162067 (2232562)
- Magnetization-tagged MRI is a simple method for predicting liver fibrosis - Kim, Kyung-Eun; Park, Mi-Suk; Chung, Sohae; An, Chansik; Axel, Leon; Ergashovna, Rakhmonova Gulbahor. Magnetization-tagged MRI is a simple method for predicting liver fibrosis. Clinical & molecular hepatology. 2016 Mar;22(1):140-145 (2065522)
- Stress Cardiac MRI in Women With Myocardial Infarction and Nonobstructive Coronary Artery Disease - Mauricio, Rina; Srichai, Monvadi B; Axel, Leon; Hochman, Judith S; Reynolds, Harmony R. Stress Cardiac MRI in Women With Myocardial Infarction and Nonobstructive Coronary Artery Disease. Clinical cardiology. 2016 Jul 26;39(10):596-602 (2191502)
The SCMR congratulates Leon on this significant award and recognition!